Mincor's Policy in the field of Occupational Health and Safety
Mincor's stakeholders include its shareholders, employees, local residents and the wider community. Mincor recognises its responsibilities to all its stakeholders and will ensure that its Health, Safety and Environmental standards are second to none.
- Mincor will carry out its business in a responsible manner, and will protect and cherish the natural environment.
- Mincor will ensure that its employees are protected from all occupational injuries and diseases.
- Mincor will provide a safe working environment for its employees, will ensure that Health and Safety are management's top priority and that its workforce is fully trained in Health and Safety matters.
In order to live up to these ideals, it is important to carefully plan and execute actions in line with the ideals in order to properly manage occupational health and safety.
Quarterly update on Health, Safety and the Environment
There were no Lost Time Injuries recorded for the December 2013 quarter. The 12-month moving average Lost Time Injury (LTI) Frequency Rate for all Mincor Operations is 4.39, s slight decrease from the previous quarter (4.41) and above the Industry Underground average of 3.9. This represents two LTIs in the rolling 12 months.
A safety culture survey was conducted across all sites by an independent third party, and recommendations have arisen from this.
The following improvement strategies were undertaken during the December 2013 quarter:
- In-house First Aid training conducted for 21 employees. The percentage of the total workforce trained in first aid is now 62% (the target is 90%).
- Blanket drug and alcohol testing across all operations.
- Scheduled servicing of underground refuge chambers completed.
- Mincor participated in the Underground Mines Rescue Competition as part of a Mutual Aid team. Highlights were placing third in the 'Search and Rescue' event, and second in 'Best New Team'.
- Developed and implemented a site-based safety alert system. This was one of the recommendations from the safety culture survey.