Mincor's Policy in the field of Occupational Health and Safety
Mincor's stakeholders include its shareholders, employees, local residents and the wider community. Mincor recognises its responsibilities to all its stakeholders and will ensure that its Health, Safety and Environmental standards are second to none.
- Mincor will carry out its business in a responsible manner, and will protect and cherish the natural environment.
- Mincor will ensure that its employees are protected from all occupational injuries and diseases.
- Mincor will provide a safe working environment for its employees, will ensure that Health and Safety are management's top priority and that its workforce is fully trained in Health and Safety matters.
In order to live up to these ideals, it is important to carefully plan and execute actions in line with the ideals in order to properly manage occupational health and safety.
Quarterly update on Health, Safety and the Environment
The 12-month moving average Lost Time Injury (LTI) Frequency Rate for all Mincor Operations is 4.23 and just above the Nickel Industry Underground average of 3.8.
There was one Lost Time Injury in the March 2013 quarter, in which an employee assisting jumbo stoping operations at Mariners was severely injured. the employee is now recovering well in Perth, where he and his family are being supported by the Company. A detailed investigation was completed.
The number of Lost Time Injuries over the last 12 months now stands at 2.
By the completion of the March 2013 quarter, Mariners had achieved 34 days free of lost time injuries, Miitel had achieved 660 days and Otter Juan/McMahon 207 days.
The following improvement strategies were undertaken during the March 2013 quarter:
- Developed a Diesel Particulate Management Plan.
- Blanket drug and alcohol tests across all sites.
- Conducted Fire Extinguisher Audit across all operations.
- Conducted in-house First Aid Training to personnel.
- Conducted in-house Fire Extinguisher Training to personnel.
- Continued to report Positive Performance Indicators (lead indicators) and targets for all sites.
- Reviewed and implemented Task Observation system to more effectively monitor outcomes.
- Redeployment of Safety and Training Coordinator to Miitel 3 days/week (2 days/week Otter Juan) and full-time Safety and Training Coordinator based at Mariners.
- Reviewed and reimplemented all procedures relating to jumbo operation and jumbo off-siding.